eix -- search util for gentoos portage
eix is a tool for the Gentoo Linux
portage system. It uses indexing to allow quick searches through
the package tree.
Some reasons for using eix:
- Fast indexing and searching
- Highly configurable output-format
- Provides more information than esearch/emerge -s (e.g. shows every available version, USE flags of emerged versions, ...)
- Shows stability/mask status of versions and how your local settings change it
- Helps you to manage your local /etc/portage/package.* settings in several ways (e.g. by finding obsolete entries by various criteria)
- Can import eix-files from other systems, e.g. to get a catalogue of overlays
- Cli with logical AND/OR, multiple matching algorithms (i.e.
fuzzy search using levenshtein distance) and more
We got some screenshots and ebuilds!--> if you want to take a look.
eix is in the portage tree, so you can simply install it with emerge eix.
The most current version of eix is always available as "trunk" in the eix svn repository. To get this version, emerge dev-util/subversion (with webdav, i.e. with the nowebdav use-flag disabled) and then use the command
svn co https://svn.gentooexperimental.org/eix/trunk
If we attracted your interest, there is also a trac-page with a more
complete descripton, help and other things.
For bugreports, please use the gentoo bug system.
If you want to reach the current maintainer, please use email.
Since we are hosted by sourceforge, here is the link to out Project homepage at sf.net.
Latest News (May 19, 2007)
- The svn address has changed.
- The trac is up again (see above), but also with a new address.
Best regards .. your code monkeys :)
- qsearch (app-portage/portage-utils)
- emerge -s|-S